The Kewanee Public Library District has meeting rooms whose primary purpose is in support of library functions, meetings and programs.
The Community Room is a large meeting room which has a capacity of 100 people in chairs arranged in auditorium style. With tables, the room has a capacity of 75. This room is located on the second floor and is ADA accessible by the elevator. The room is available for use by individuals, groups and organizations.
The room may be reserved for groups subject to the following conditions:
(For charges, see Meeting Room Fees below.)
- All meetings shall be open to the Library Board, Director and staff. This does not obligate the group or organization to notify the public of the meeting or to specify in any publicity that it is open to the public.
- Meetings should be held during Library hours.
- Meetings may be held before or after regularly scheduled Library hours only when prior arrangements have been made and approval has been given.
- Groups may not charge admission to meetings, except for library-sponsored or related programs, which may charge fees to defray expenses. Groups may charge attendees for the actual costs of materials used in a program, i.e. workbooks, handouts, supplies, etc. This must be indicated on the application.
PRIORITIES FOR USE
Should there be several groups wishing to use the room at the same time, priorities for granting use will be as follows:
- Kewanee Public Library District and library affiliated/sponsored groups
- Non-profit educational, informational, cultural or civic groups and organizations having at least one adult member who holds a Kewanee Public Library District card
- Residents of Kewanee
- Non-profit educational, informational, cultural or civic groups without a member who holds a Kewanee Public Library District card
- Applications must be completed and submitted to the Assistant to the Director. The Assistant will notify the group within three business days after submission of the application of the decision regarding the usage of the room. Applications can be obtained at the circulation desk on the main floor or printed here.
- Applications for use by a group or organization must be made by someone at least 21 years of age. Groups comprised of members under 18 years of age must have a ratio of one adult sponsor per eight children in attendance at all times during their meeting, e.g. for 24 children, 3 adults must attend.
- The person making the application will be the contact person and will be the only person authorized to make changes in the room reservation. This person will be held responsible for the use and condition of the room and should be in attendance at the meeting for which the room is reserved.
- There is no automatic renewal for the rooms; an application must be filed for each intended use.
- The room may be requested up to three months in advance of the meeting date.
- No group or organization other than the Kewanee Public Library District may use a room more than twice per month. A request for more frequent use by a group or organization may be made to the Director.
- Anyone who may have been denied permission to use the room may appeal to the Director. If the Director denies permission, the applicant may appeal to the Library Board at its next scheduled meeting.
MEETING ROOM FEES
Fees are as follows:
Security deposit: $25.00 (Payable in check or money order)
Hourly fee: $20.00
The security deposit must be made at the time of application. It will be refunded at the end of the meeting, provided that the room (and kitchen if used) is clean and in order. If the room(s) are dirty or in disorder, the security deposit will not be refunded but used to pay for clean-up.
Room fees for meetings during library hours will be waived for:
- Library sponsored and affiliated groups
- Not-for-profit groups with Kewanee Public Library District cardholders as members
- Federal, state and county governmental groups
- City of Kewanee, Park District, School District, Board, committee, and office holder meetings
- Kewanee residents for non-commercial meetings.
This means that:
- Groups without Kewanee residents must pay $20 per hour that the meeting takes place.
- All groups, including those with Kewanee residents must pay $20 for each hour of fraction thereof that the meeting extends beyond regular library hours,
CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS
In the event of a meeting room request cancellation, the security deposit will be refunded as soon as possible.
GENERAL MEETING ROOM USE RULES
- The library does not provide service to carry supplies, make coffee, provide office supplies or photocopies. All groups, except those sponsored by the library must provide their own support for preparation and clean up.
- Refreshment supplies such as cups, containers, paper goods, tea and coffee and kitchen utensils, towels, dishes and table service are not provided by the library.
- Refreshments may not be taken out of the meeting room.
- The kitchen is not to be used for cooking.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
- Smoking is not allowed in the library building.
- At the conclusion of a meeting, the individual, group or organization is responsible for placing all areas in the condition existing before the meeting commenced. This includes, but is not limited to, rearranging or restacking chairs and cleaning tables, kitchen counters and appliances, if used. If a group does not leave the room in reasonable order, the group will forfeit their security deposit and may have its meeting room privileges suspended or revoked.
- Children under age 7 of meeting attendees are not to be left unattended during meetings.
- No one is permitted to wait in the library for the conclusion of a meeting after closing hours, unless authorized by the Librarian-in-Charge.
- Equipment, supplies or personal effects cannot be stored or left in the library after use.
- The library is not responsible for the loss of or damage to any equipment or materials owned or rented by an individual, group or organizations using the library’s meeting facilities.
- The meeting room applicant, group, organization and members shall be jointly and severally liable for any breakage, loss or theft of any property caused by members or guests of the group in the event that these exceed the security deposit.
- Permission to use the meeting room does not constitute endorsement of the subject matter of the meeting or endorsement by the Library or viewpoints expressed by participants in programs. No advertisement or announcement implying such endorsement will be permitted.
- Groups using the Library’s meeting facilities must comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. They are responsible or providing qualified interpreters or auxiliary aids, upon request, to individuals who require certain accommodations which would enable them to observe and/or participate in the function or meeting.
- The meeting room may not be used for:
- Gambling activities, including, but not limited to bingo, raffles and games of chance for monetary prizes or other things of value.
- Strictly social functions. A social function is one solely intended for entertainment through companionship and with friends and associates, including, but not limited to: weddings, anniversaries, showers, card parties, birthday and social club parties.
- Any other activity which, in the judgment of the Assistant to the Director, would materially and substantially interfere with the ordinary functions and activities of the library and which may cause excessive noise, safety hazards and/or a threat to public health, safety, and property.
Any violation of the above rules and conditions shall forfeit the group or organization’s right to use the library meeting room and shall result in the cancellation of previous permission granted.